Pages

I Taste Test Three New Country Ma’am Flavors: Cream Stew, Plum Mochi, and Truffle-scented 4 Cheese



2017-02-20 19.52.28.jpg

I love trying limited edition special flavors (kikan gentei) in Japan, so I jumped at the chance to try three new Country Ma'am flavors! This is a popular brand of soft, chewy cookies that are basically your only tie to chocolate chip cookies over here. The current kikan gentei flavors are plum mochi, creamy stew, and truffle-scented four cheese. I wouldn't have normally put those last two anywhere near my mouth, but hey, since it's my last few weeks in Japan I thought I'd give it a shot.


Plum Mochi
2017-02-20 19.52.54.jpg
Country Ma'am plum mochi.


I decided to start with the most appealing flavor, ume (plum) mochi. The cookie on the package is a delightful spring-pink color, and it looks like there are chunks of real mochi inside. The flowers are a nice touch to get me in the mood for eating something flower-flavored.


2017-02-21 19.51.16.jpg
Plum mochi packaging.

The package is bright reddish pink and gold, and says it’s made with plums from Wakayama prefecture, so I know just how special this is in case I missed the gold.
2017-02-21 19.51.37.jpg
I love pink cookies! Bring it on!

Now comes the cookie: it’s indeed a very pretty pink, and perfectly round! It’s also the most flattened of the three, making a bigger cookie. Here comes the exciting taste test.
2017-02-21 19.52.01.jpg
Chewy mochi chunks inside!

It’s very chewy! You can tell the inside really is full of mochi. It doesn’t taste too much like flowers at all, but it has a subtle floral scent. It’s much denser than normal Country Ma’am cookies, but I still enjoyed it!

Appearance: 5/5
Smell: 4/5
Texture: 4/5
Taste: 5/5
Overall grade: 4.5!

Cream Stew
2017-02-20 19.52.48.jpg
Country Ma'am creamy stew.

I felt the most trepidation about this one but decided to get it over with. This one is touted as “gourmet”, probably to take your mind off the fact that this is a cookie disguised as a savory dish. It has 0.2 percent carrots, but don’t worry - there isn’t any potatoes or nasty broccoli involved.
2017-02-21 19.53.40.jpg
"Gour-met"? Or "Gour-oss?!"

The package is quite similar to the plum mochi, telling you again that it’s “gourmet” so you’re going to like it or else!
2017-02-21 19.53.57.jpg
Chunky!

As you can see, it’s a very lumpy cookie, probably to mimic actual cream stew. Now for the challenging part.
2017-02-21 19.54.44.jpg
It's a thick cookie!
It actually wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. It definitely smells of stew! It’s definitely got a creamy, savory flavor to it, but in fact it’s still a little sweet! However this made it a little confusing for my tastebuds, switching from savory to a sweet aftertaste. This one was softer and less chewy than the plum mochi.

Appearance: 4/5
Depends if you go for the whole “chunky cookie” thing, but doesn’t really do anything for me unless it’s chocolate chips.
Smell: 4
Texture: 5
Taste: 2/5
Overall grade: 3

Truffle-scented 4 Cheese
2017-02-20 19.52.40.jpg
Country Ma'am truffle scented 4 cheese.
Now for the big Daddy of them all: truffles and cheese in a cookie! Just look at those chunks of cheese: cream cheese, cheddar, camembert, and parmesan. The truffles don’t look as appetizing as chocolate truffles, which sounds like a way better idea for a cookie. This is also the first time I’ll have ever tasted anything remotely “truffle” as well, although it says that it’s only “truffle-scented”. Unfortunately I have only a vague idea what truffles smell like, and I don’t think it’s the kind of fragrance you’d want to be perfuming yourself with every day. It definitely smells like cheese, with a hint of something else.
2017-02-21 19.55.46.jpg
Another golden package.
Once again, gold and reddish brown! This one has even more gold than the others, again trying to get you into the mindset that this is going to be good, not gross.
2017-02-21 19.56.06.jpg
A perfectly round cookie!
It’s a surprisingly beautiful cookie! It’s perfectly round, and smaller than the others, but thicker.
2017-02-21 19.56.27.jpg
The thickest of them all!

I have to say it wasn’t as bad as I was anticipating, but still a little weird. It was definitely cheesy, but still a little sweet like the stew - why didn’t they just make it all savory? Also it was extremely crumbly, so that I had pieces falling in my lap. The smell seemed more cheesy than truffle-y, but maybe that’s a good thing.

Appearance: 5/5
Smell: 4/5
Texture: 2/5
Taste: 2/5
Overall grade: 2.5

As I expected, I liked this one the least! The plum mochi was great, but savory flavors mixed in with sweet cookies is a little weird. Still, it’s a fun experience to try these limited edition flavors! The sweetness of the last two was subtle, so I’d recommend it for those who don’t like really sweet foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment